Friday, November 18, 2011

Q&A With.....???

Who else has felt the lack of Q&A's here? Me, for one; to to celebrate the happiness of everydays I'm posting a Q&A I did a little while ago with the most amazing... Dana Reinhardt! She's the author of a  lot of books, including the very amazing A Brief Chapter in my Impossible Life, which I reviewed a little while back.
So, here's the Q&A! Get inspired...


*When did you first start writing?
I first started writing at a very young age—9 years old or so. At that age
I thought every time I had an idea I was about to embark on an epic novel,
maybe even an entire series of books, but usually after 15 minutes or so
I’d totally give up. I’ve learned as an adult that writing is about
fighting the impulse to quit every 15 minutes.

*Did you always think you'd be an author, as your profession?
It’s certainly what I dreamed of, but I was terribly practical and since I
saw no precise path toward realizing that goal I opted for law school. It
wasn’t until many years later that I decided to try my hand at a book even
though there was nobody around to tell me how it’s done.

*What is your inspiration?
I suppose that changes book to book and even day to day, but generally I
write because when it goes well there’s nothing I love more, and the life
of a writer is wonderfully conducive to life as a mother, which is really
my main job.

*How did you feel when you first heard you were being published? (For your
very first novel?)
It felt just spectacularly unbelievable. Indescribably wonderful. I’ll
stop there, because it really was indescribable, so I don’t want to muck
it up with words that don’t fit.

*How long does the publishing process take, generally?
It takes about a year to a year and a half for a book to come out after
I’ve finished my part. And as for my work, that averages a year or so—some
books I’ve written more quickly, others have taken longer.

*What is the most life changing thing about being an author?
Getting to work from home and setting my own schedule. It provides me with
the time and freedom to be the kind of parent I want to be and I can’t ask
for much more than that.

*Do people treat you differently?
No. I think the population of people for whom what I do is exotic or
exciting is very small.

*What was your first job?
I was a caseworker with adolescents in the foster care system. I was young
and knew nothing, but I was willing to work for almost nothing, so they
hired me. I loved spending time with teenagers and I think those
experiences inspired me to write books for that age group.

*What's your favourite book?
To Kill a Mockingbird.


*Tips for aspiring authors?
Read. Read as much as you can. Read to find the kinds of books you want to
write. Read to find the kind of writer you want to emulate. But also read
to find the kinds of books and the style of writing you don’t like.
And write. Just write as much as you can. Try as many different voices
until you find what works for you.

*And lastly, if your book, a Brief Chapter in my Impossible life, was made
into a film, who would you pick to play Simone?
I’m afraid I’m not totally up to date on 16-year-old actresses. I only
know the ones on the television shows my daughters watch and they’re
already probably too old. Maybe I’d pick that girl from True Grit—she’s
great.


Thank you so much for doing this Q&A Dana!


Lots of inspirational love! (And this lovely 200th post!)
Romi.x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x