Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Books for when you're... (2)




Each fortnight I will showcase 1-2 books that I think would be fantastic reading if you're going through a  certian emotion/stage in your life.

After the sucess that I call not doing another of these posts after the first week until now, I'm fresh and ready to go with a lot of ideas. I will try not to fall behind again.

Books for when you're having a terrible day/week/month/theyearisn'tlookingtoofantasticeither.
It's not unheard of to have a terrible day or for nothing to be going right for you, so here are some protagonists who definitely have it worse than you, and that is an fact.

    A series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket.
Why I chose this book:
The Baudelaire siblings are definitely worse off than you are, and they are hopefully forever worse off than you will ever have the misfortune to be. It's so easy to feel like nothing is going right and have no idea how things could ever get any worse because they're just so terrible and it's generally the WORST, but if you only have to look at the title of the series, at the book names, to appreciate how well off you are. There are thirteen books in which these siblings go through some of the absolute worst things you can imagine, and they still manage to get through it, so I think reading this and taking a little strength from the Baudelaire's might help.

    The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin.
Why I chose this book:
I think it's kind of universally known that Mara Dyer has it bad.
I'm not going to go giving out spoilers, but ohh yes, she certainly does have it bad. Life has not been as bad to her as it was for the above siblings, but it's not been a joy-ride, either, and yet she's so awesome and brilliant and such a wonderous and awesome character that I think this is a definite recommendation.
And if you're still unsure if this book would make you feel better, there's this kind of slightly interesting character called Noah Shaw, who shows us that Mara Dyer has not lost absolutely everything, and that might be helpful if you feel like you have. 

Stay tuned for some more bookish suggestions for the good times, and the bad.
So far I've covered-

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, this is such a cool feature! I'll definitely come back to refer to it when I'm in the mood for a certain kind of read. And score!! I actually own both of these so the next time I'm having a bad day, I know where to turn. Thanks for the awesome post, Romi! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sonia- that's so nice of you to say and means a lot to me! Oh, excellent- I'd love to know if they do help, though despite it all books are sure to help one out on a bad day. x

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x