Monday, April 22, 2013

Books for when you're... (6)



Each fortnight I will showcase 1-2 books that I think would be fantastic reading if you're going through a  certian emotion/stage in your life.



Books for when you want to have a fictional friend (part 1).
Life can be awful. Fiction can be awful, too, but that's beside the point- having a book in which you are able to really connect with a character is an incredible feeling, and being able to say you feel like you would be best friends, already are, is something I adore.


I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith.
Why I chose this book:
Cassandra, the protagonist, is a character I immediately felt passionate about- she is witty, amusing, strong, compassionate and loves without hesitation. She is one of my favourite heroines and I can see us getting alone very well indeed.


Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan.
Why I chose this book:
Prepare to be inundated by Unspoken/Kami Glass appearing in these posts, because she is featured heavily in the next few. Kami is just so fantastic and I get incredibly happy/excited when I think/talk/write about her- she and I are fairly similar, but I don't know if that's why I immediately loved her so strongly. She is incredibly strong and brave, a little headstrong at times, has a taste in fashion that makes me swoon, has amazing dialouge and is just "The best" in all the things. She is a friend one would make and keep forever, and she wouldn't let you be lost, either.


Stay tuned for some more bookish suggestions for the good times, and the bad.
So far I've covered-

14 comments:

  1. Lovelovelove both of these! Both of them are amazing characters. Also, that cover for "I Capture the Castle" is GORGEOUS.
    I would add Becca, from Brigid Kemmerer's Elementals books - especially Storm - and Blue from Maggie Stiefvater's The Raven Boys. I think they'd both make good friends too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it beautiful? I love the vintage classics.
      I haven't read either of those books- I tried the first Elementals book but it didn't click with me so I didn't persue it; she's the main character, am I right? Finding friends in books is the best. (:

      Delete
    2. Yeah, she's the main character for the first book, and then a secondary/minor character in the following books. There was just something about her that I connected with, although I didn't like who she ended up with - I wanted her to end up with the other guy. Sadness.

      Delete
    3. I don't think I've ever had a character start a relationship and stay in it with someone I didn't think was right, but it sounds terribly frustrating. That must mean all the books are out- gosh, that was quick! They only started coming out last year, didn't they?

      Delete
    4. Yeah, the series got extended, so it was originally going to be a trilogy, and now there's going to be four books. Or possibly five. Plus a number of novellas. They're not all out yet, but the second book is Gabriel and Layne's story, the third book - which I am eagerly anticipating because I really like Hunter - is Hunter and some other chick's, and I'm pretty sure the fourth is going to be Nick's. It's basically the same cast of characters across the series, just with the focus - and therefore the main character(s) shifting from book to book.

      Delete
    5. Oh I see- I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. I agree with I Capture the Castle! I really liked Cassandra's voice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. have you seen the movie for i capture the castle? i really like it and think it matches the book really well :)

    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yes- I adored it! Romola Garai is the perfect Cassandra for me and I just adored how it was all done.

      Delete
  4. I love I Capture the Castle. Did you know that the guy playing superman in the upcoming movie is in the I Capture the Castle movie???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it such a beautiful novel? I didn't even know there was a new Superman movie coming out! I'll look it up. (:

      Delete
  5. I really want to read I Capture the Castle but I wasn't sure if it was YA or not YA so I letted it slide. TT____TT I think that's another one of my bad choices. DX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a classic, plain and simple. I don't think books should always be put into a specific catagory or genre or even age group, some, I think at least, ought just be read by all because they're that magnificent. I highly suggest you read it, Delaney, because it's incredible! x

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x