Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Q&A with Gayle Forman!

So my blogging schedule is a teeny bit messed up right now, but over this week I have plans to get it all sorted so hopefully things will be back to regularity next week- but to tide us over I have a fantastic Q&A that I did with the excellent Gayle Forman, author of If I stay, Where she went, Just one day, and soon to be published Just one year. Enjoy! (I did another Q&A with Gayle a few years ago, if you'd like to see that, too.)


1.      What is something you love the most about/when creating a new story?
The thing I love most, the thing that always seems miraculous to me, is how the story sometimes seems to come together as if it were already written somewhere deep inside of you. There's an alchemy to writing, a magic. You'll start out in the morning with a vague idea of where you're going and then as you're working, you'll realize that something you just wrote connects back to something 100 pages earlier. You didn't consciously lay that groundwork, but there it is. This "magic" happens at different times with different books. Sometimes it happens during your first draft, and that's a pretty gratifying experience. Sometimes it doesn't come until deep into revisions. You have to take a leap of faith when you start something new, that you'll get to this place.

2.      Do you keep a writing schedule/have a specific kind of routine?
When I'm drafting/revising, I'm pretty disciplined (all those years of working as a journalist helped with this). After I get the kids off to school, I head straight up my office. And I often work until 2 or 3, when I have to go pick up the girls. My desk gets really messy with coffee cups and dirty plates and often by quitting time, I've neglected to eat/shower/ think about dinner/make the beds. Some days,  I'll wrap up sooner. If I know I've hit a good end point or I'm hitting a wall but mostly I'll try to put in a full day's work. I try not to let other things, like email and social media interfere when I'm at this stage. I'm not always so successful. The other times are less structured. I might spend a few hours working on marketing ideas, or writing a blog post or some business aspect of what I do and then do something fun, like work in the garden or go on a school field trip with my kids. I just spent two years writing back-to-back books, so there hasn't been a lot of time for the less structured days. I'm looking forward to things being a bit more mellow for a while.


3.      If you could spend 24 hours with a character from each of your books, which ones would you choose?

You're making me choose? Let's see. From If I Stay, Mia. From Where She Went, Adam. Those are the obvious ones. From Just One Day, Dee, Allyson's best friend. I wish he were real. And from Just One Year, Kate. You'll know what I mean when you read that one.


4.      What is your favourite word?
Coffee.

5.      What one thing do you always need, so that you can write?
Coffee.


Thank you so much for answering my questions, Gayle!

Gayle's books go by the names If I stay, Where she went, Just one day, and soon to be published Just one year.

8 comments:

  1. Oooooh SO FUN! I love Gayle so much, and her answers are amazing. I would also hang with Dee because hello. He is amazing. I loved that she said creating a new story is a bit like magic :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the Q&A, Judith- I had such a fun time reading Gayle's answers!

      Delete
  2. Oooh, I really liked that first question and the answer, that was really interesting.

    And also, especially gratifiying after all those stupid HSC essays about writers doing particular things, here she is admitting it's ALL LIES! LIES! LIES!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of the lies!
      I'm glad that one really caught your attention, Lauren- I really enjoy coming up with questions people mightn't have been asked, or have but not in that way (which makes all the difference) and seeing what their response is. Ver' interesting.

      Delete
  3. i love this interview, romi!

    gayle is such an amazing author and i love finding out more about her and her process. i love how she talks about when the magic happens. that must be ojne of the best things about being an author :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nomes! I'm thrilled you enjoyed it. (:

      I completely agree- finding about this process different authors have is incredible and I love how it gives a new perspective when you re-read their work.

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh, oh my gosh. So you commented on my post and I was trolling your blog and YOU GOT TO TALK TO GAYLE FORMAN! TWICE! So insanely jealous of you.

    Not to mention the post is funny and cool :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michelle! I'm glad you enjoyed the Q&A's I did- I've always had a lot of fun trying to devise interesting questions, and the answers! Fantastic!

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x