Tuesday, April 8, 2014

"When Did you See her Last?" by Lemony Snicket...


Title- "When Did you See Her Last?" (All the Wrong Questions #2.)
Author- Lemony Snicket.
Publish date- October 2013.
Publisher- Hardie Grant Egmont.
RRP: $16.95 (AUD)

*This review may contain spoilers relating to book #1 in the All the Wrong Questions series*


Review time...

(A Brief) Synopsis:
Though the beginnings of one mystery may have been solved by the young Lemony Snicket, things in Stain'd-by-the-Sea are only getting more puzzling, and if people aren't careful someone might just go missing.
Image Credit: Hardie Grant Egmont.


What I thought:
I am, practically always, sold when it comes to Lamony Snicket, and though I took a while reading the first book in this series, the second was certainly a different story. From the amusing list of questions on the back cover to the beautiful design and colour scheme of the cover and all illustrations throughout, this was an absolute win.
Instantly I was captivated and I caught onto what was happening a lot more quickly, finishing the book in just over one day, compared to the few weeks that I took with the first.

The plot was thrilling (all taking place, if I'm correct, in a single day, though it didn't feel too speedy or unbelievable- the contrary! I felt as if this could certainly happen in an obscure little town on the edge of a dried up sea) and the new characters were most intriguing. Even if they are only shown for a moment, or reoccurring as some are, from the first book, every single character has a distinct taste and attitude and though not all are likable, all are immensely captivating.

There was plenty of mystery to keep my mind at work, both when it comes to figuring out what question is the wrong question, helpfully assisted by Lemony, discovering what happened to the missing girl amidst a trail of falsities, what exactly the villain (whose name I awfully cannot remember or find note of online, which just goes to show how villianously stealthy he is) of the series has planned, not to mention a whole barrel full of refrences to well known (this is not to say I understood all of them, I note) books, the titles for you to work out and thrill over when you understand.
For those piecing together information on Lemony Snicket himself, this is the book to read- it also introduces some other familiar faces from A Series of Unfortunate Events, though they're considerably younger.

Rating: Excellent.
Very enjoyable. I wouldn't have minded a bit more length, but I really appreciated how things were so cleverly worked out and pondered over such a short time. It only goes to show how great Lemony Snicket is at what he does. This is a series I definitely plan to continue.

Thank you to Hardie Grant Egmont for this review copy!

16 comments:

  1. Honestly, I've had an eye for Lemony Snicket's books, but haven't gotten around to reading them. I've got the whole SOUE books, but haven't taken a peek. I'm glad you enjoyed this book. When the mood strikes, I'd crack one of the books :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a little tired of the unfortunate events series after the first four books, bcause they just seemed so similar, but then listening to them on audio was fantastic and they were so brilliant and I read the last one. I have the series now! I'd definitely recommend this- it's great because they have these brilliant links to characters.

      Delete
  2. I plan on reading Lemony Snicket's books someday, so I had to skim your review, but I'm glad it turned out so well for you! This sounds really good :)

    Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend them! Tha language and plots are just... fantastic!

      Delete
  3. I actually had no idea Snicket was writing any other books recently! I'm so behind, the last thing I read by him were the Unfortunate Events, I remember reading them the day they came out so long ago :P Nostalgia! I'll have to check out this new series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely recommend you read this series, Alise- even for the links that it has with a series of unfortunate events, the characters who pop up. It's wonderful!

      Delete
  4. I feel like I've heard so much about the Lemony books, but I've never thought to give the books a go. I love this cover, and your love of this sequel has made me want to get into this series!

    Mands @ The Bookish Manicurist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it, if you try it! The characters, wording and plots are so great! And it's a fantastic kind of unintended (?) companion to a series of unfortunate events.

      Delete
  5. I loved A Series of Unfortunate Events, but I've never tried this series! You've made me curious about it now, as it sounds like something I would like. I'm glad it was a good read for you. I'll have to check out the first book one day. I hope the rest of the series lives up to your expectations! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely try it if you loved unfortunate events, Sam, because even for the info about other characters it's amazing. I hope you love it, if you read it!

      Delete
  6. This books looks great. I was unsure if I should pick it up because I didn't really enjoy Why We Broke Up. So I am a little nervous to pick up another one of his books. But I will check this one out!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely recommend trying out his work as Lemony Snicket, because I, too, have read Why we broke up (though I enjoyed it) and they're just so, so different. It's fantastic how polar they are.

      Delete
  7. I have never read a Lemony Snicket, they have just never, ever appealed to me. But I do like the title of this one. And the cover colours are pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You haven't? I'm very shocked to learn that, because for some reason I thought, absently, you would really be a fan of them. Like, a fan from the very beginning. They're very wordy and great.

      Aren't the colours great? I'm loving the design of this series!

      Delete
    2. Nope. Never ever. I just remember thinking that his name was weird and I wasn't going to read anything by a Weirdo and then Jim Carrey was in the movie and I can't stand him at all so that wrote off the movie and any chance that it would inspire me to read the book and then it was just a huge negative in the con column that he was even in the movie and that it appealed to him and I have a really irrational hatred of him I am discovering as I write this...but it's there and it cannot be undone.

      But yeah as I kid I was just thinking 'What's with the weirdass name, I'm not reading anything by anyone with a weirdass name like THAT.' So it never happened.

      Delete
    3. Lauren! Judging someone's work by their NAME indeed? I personally adore the name, which is a pseudonym by the way, and it's wonderful how distinct the work of Lemony is compared to the work of the author under their other name.

      I also love the movie! Jim Carey plays the role fantasticly I think and the film commentary is just as good as the film, with the director and the author, who is horrified about the whole thing, and an accordian solo is featured.

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x