Wednesday, July 30, 2014

As Red as Blood by Salla Simukka...


Title- As Red as Blood.
Author- Salla Simukka.
Publish date- August 2014.
Publisher- Hot Key Books.
RRP: $16.95

(Goodreads)

Review time!


(A Brief) Synopsis:
Lumikki is enjoying the life she leads, one where she gets to live alone in the city and forget the noises of her past. Then she walks into the darkroom of her school and sees the money, the bloody water. That is when she gets pulled into the mystery, and after that? Nothing is going to be the same.

Image via: Hot Key Books.
Thank you to Hot Key Books for this review ARC!


What I thought:
If I hadn't decided I ought to broaden my review choices and request a copy of this frankly wonderful yet perhaps creepy sounding novel, had I not read about it's love in Finland, I would have missed out on reading a book that is vying to be my all time favourite read for 2014 (tied with The Assassin's Blade at the moment).

In the first pages I wasn't quite sure how I felt about it, but as soon as the protagonist Lumikki came onto the scene I loved her and the way the story just *became*.
Lumikki is a stunning, unique and altogether wonderful protagonist, though the story isn't just settled on her, the POV changing fairly often between a girl whom she is roped into helping and those on the darker side of the story. The one thing I didn't agree with Lumikki on, or at least the one that doesn't set off nearly every spoiler light, is that she doesn't like tea. At all.
I did pause when I read that.
She is a true heroine, however, and I just love how she takes control of her own story, unwilling to let others control her or try to take charge. It was spectacular.

There were thrilling twists and turns here aplenty, and the chance of danger for Lumikki aroud every corner, and there is of course the darkness to this tale, the mystery that she lands herself unwittingly in when she sees thousands of euros drying in the school darkroom, the blood that's been clearned off them still in the developing trays, staining the water.
Being someone with frail nerves when it comes to the scary and/or creepy stuff, I should've been concerned about how all this would affect me. How the violence and blood money (ha!) would probably leave me awake for at least one petrified night, and I may have, before I started reading,  I don't remember, but once I started? Pshew. No time for that.
No time at all. We've got a mystery to solve.

Rating: Big Explosion MIND BLOWN-
Lumikki is now firmly placed in my all time favourite character files for her spirit, fierce determination and passion, and I felt for this young woman so much with her heartrending back story, which we slowly learn.
The book is ab all time favourite, also, and I just hope I don't have too long a wait ahead of me for the next one!
I may now be deciding to rewrite my exercise routine and try to learn at least a few of Lumikki's tricks. (She has many.)

14 comments:

  1. Wow this sounds so intriguing! I have added it to my TBR pile! I'm not very big into crime thrillers, but the main character sounds so interesting and this is kind of making me think of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo which I really enjoyed. Great review Romi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to hear that! I haven't read any of the Steig Larson books, but this reminded me of what I think they'd be like- it was so good and, not being gorey or inapporpriate for the age group, it didn't feel like it held back. I hope you'll let me know what you think!

      Delete
  2. This sounds really really good to me!! I just requested an ARC out of my norm too! I read a book called Horrorstor and was glad I gave it a shot. Lately I've only been reading graphic novel ARCs so I am glad I gave a new one a good. This book you read sounds really great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll add it to your tbr and see what you think, Angela! I'm glad that the book worked out well- it's strange we both decided to go a little different with our picks, recently! And wonderful that hey both proved to be good moves!

      Delete
  3. I had already dismissed this one. I thought it would be a bit scary too, but after reading your review I think I have dismissed this one too early. I mean, you did give it a Big Explosion and I trust your taste. I just might have to check it out after all. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me very happy to hear, Rochelle! I really hope you'll love it, even though you didn't think it sounded like your kind of read before- it's definitely worth checking out, at the very least, and seeing what you make of it! x

      Delete
  4. My thoughts exactly for Lumikki! She was amazing, right?! The story was HERS. I would totally read all the next ones. x) And I looooved the sort of Sherlock feel to it too. Because gosh knows I'm into Sherlock things. I'm so glad you liked this one too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I love that she was a heroine who could hold her own with the story that was thrown at her, but not only that, she took charge with that story and made it work for her. Made it all her own. I cannot wait for the next book!

      Delete
  5. Woah HIGH PRAISE!! I'll admit I've never even heard of this one before now, but seeing you cheerlead for the book has definitely caught my attention - I'm going to have to read this now! Lumikki sounds completely fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The highest! I think it's quietly entering the bookish world, and hopefully I helped bring it to the attention of a few new people (I love that you say I cheerlead for it- wonderful description!) and I'm SO glad you're eager to read it now! I can't wait to see what you think! (She is, oh she is!)

      Delete
  6. I've never heard of this one before but I am in love with that cover, love the three colors together. The main character sounds absolutely amazing, and I might end up reading this one just for that. Although I really like the sound of everything else, especially all the twists!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it neat, bringing together the red white and black from the fairytale? I really like it, too- maybe I'll have to buy a copy someday, since the copy I have is an arc without the lovely cover. I hope you do end up reading it, Alise (Lumikki is, I believe, enough reason to want to read it!) and love it, too! xx

      Delete
  7. Lumikki sounds like the very definition of amazing. And I love that you say that she controls her own story--while all main characters are main characters, many are just sort of taken by the story, and only some are actually the ones that shape it themselves, and make it seem as if they were the ones who created it, not the author. And it is with that sentence that I show how weird I am :P

    "...there is of course the darkness to this tale, the mystery that she lands herself unwittingly in when she sees thousands of euros drying in the school darkroom, the blood that's been clearned off them still in the developing trays, staining the water."

    ^I was totally going to buy this book after reading about the twist and turns, but then I read this sentence and decided that I'm not only going to read this book but I'm going to read it as soon as I can. And it comes out tomorrow... I can't wait! As Red as Blood sounds thoroughly creepy and well-written, with an awesome lead! Thank you for letting me know about this book, and as always, wonderful review. (Seriously, wonderful, wonderful, wonderful review.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, Lesley, you just left me the most beautiful, heartwarming comment. Thank you- you really made me happy with this!

      I think you describe that about characters really well- some are led by the story, some are part of the story and little else, and some will have none of that and are the leader. I think it makes perfect sense.

      I am just so happy that you're so keen to read this, now, Lesley! I hope you love it nearly so much as I did, and please let me know how it all goes! And thank you again for such a fantastic comment! xxx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x