Thursday, July 24, 2014

Well Read Women by Samantha Hahn...


Title- Well Read Women: Portraits of Fiction's Most Beloved Heroines.
Author- Samantha Hahn.
Publish date- 2013.
Publisher- Chronicle Books.


Review time...

(A Brief) Synopsis:
A collection of portraits and quotes from marvellous women across fiction, some you may have heard of, some you may already love, and some may be new.


What I thought:
This book is perfect for me in so many ways. It is full of exquisite women, beautiful art, both in the illustrations of the women and the quotes attributed to them, quotes I had not anticipated and loved as much as everything else (they were marvellous), especially how they gave an insight and intrigue to each woman.

-It's a compilation of women in literature, women who are forceful, talented, fierce, brave, cynical, weak and so many other things. Just the prospect, when I've already read this book twice, gets me thrilling.

-It works as a unique kind of list for books I want to read, adding many new books to my already sizable tbr, and characters to look out for eagerly.

-It's basically a book of lovely, moving and through-provoking quotes, women who are unique and depicted in so many different ways, styles, attitudes, books I want to now read and art.

I knew from the start that we, this book and I, were destined for each other, and as it would go we worked out very well together. I think that, besides all the ways this book and I click, reading this would be a particularly unique adventure for each, and besides everything I've already covered...

Rating: Big Explosion MIND BLOWN.
... it's really a beautiful book.

12 comments:

  1. I googled the book to find out what's inside, and WOW those watercolored-images are so beautiful! This is a perfect coffee table book, something everyone should read while waiting for something. I'll try to find this one in our local bookstore.

    ~ Dre @ Sporadic Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they just stunning!? I'm glad you were able to find some pictures and see what I meant, and I'm glad you were interested in it enough to do that, Dre! And I'm SO glad that you're planning on getting a copy! That makes me so happy to hear! I hope you adore it just as much as me! xx

      Delete
  2. I HAVE to have this one. Oh gosh, it's absolutely gorgeous and a brilliant collectable for booklovers. Thank you soooo much for sharing, if not for you, I would have never have known about how brilliant this one is <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for that beautiful comment! I'm thrilled to read your reaction and am just SO GLAD that you want to get a copy of this for yourself! I hope you adore it nearly so much as I do! xx

      Delete
  3. Just looked it up to see the pictures as well... amazing! Seriously so gorgeous, I love the brighter colors she uses too. Plus quotes? Definitely going to check this one out, I love good quotes. Glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent to hear! I'm thrilled you're planning on reading this, Alise, and I hope you really enjoy it! It's quite an incredible book to have. x

      Delete
  4. This sounds amazing. I love it when there are books out there, or collection of books and essays and stories, that empowers women and emphasizes the values we hold dear. And the pictures really were beautiful. Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful comment, Faye! Thank you so much! I hope you get the book and read through it all, because it's really just wonderful and very inspiring, too. Each time I've read it it's made me WANT to do all these incredible things, which I think is superb. x

      Delete
  5. Ohhh, that sounds fantastic. Definitely going on my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm super happy to hear that, Lydia! I remember you spoke of reading a bunch of art books on your blog recently, and whilst I didn't manage to find the one I was hoping would be at my library to compare styles or what-not (though art really cannot be compared, I don't think), I think you'll just LOVE this. Be sure to let me know your thoughts, okay? xx

      Delete
  6. I've never heard of this and it doesn't sound like my usual kind of read at all, but you're selling it here! I love that it made you add a whole bunch of new books to your tbr. I'm definitely curious which female heronies are featured!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to hear that! I just really want people to see this book for themselves and marvel at the wonders of it. There are so many featured, and it really dipicts them so well, picking beautiful, thought-provoking, inspiring quotes. There were some more women I would have loved to see, but... maybe there'll be a sequel someday! xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x