Sunday, August 10, 2014

Books for when you're... (15)





Each fortnight, month, fifteenth full moon of the half equational motion of the earths full circuit I will showcase 1-2 books that I think would be fantastic reading if you're going through a  certian emotion/stage in your life.


Wanting a character with hope and a job they're going to get done.
*Perhaps contains faint spoilers to His Dark Materials, How I live Now, The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There*
Sometimes you just want a good old character with hope and a job they are absolutely determined to get done, and that's when I would recommend the following books and their characters.

All The Wrong Questions- Lemony Snicket.
Snicket.
Lemony is a vivacious, loyal and deeply interested boy, and once he starts a case there is nothing that can get in his way and thus stop him- plenty of things do get in his way, is what I'm saying, but do they stop him? Do you see them stopping him?
Answer: No.


How I Live Now- Meg Rosoff.
Daisy.
Daisy's the first person I think of when I think of someone who will stop at nothing to get to her goal; she is terrified of the war raging around her and the life she's been thrust into, but she never once stops in her search for "home" and all that she is sure waits there. Daisy's the kind of girl who, in a situation, pushes everything else aside and gets the job done.


His Dark Materials- Philip Pullman.
Lyra.
Lyra's job is by no means easy, quickly accomplished, or painless- mentally, physically- and it spans three pretty good sized books, but she has an incredible determination and she will fight for what is right, even if it hurts her. She will fight to set people free of their pain and anguish.

Fairyland- Catherynne M. Valente.
September.
September is magical, unique, fierce and oh so dedicated. She will go on alone if she must, and she will go on with others so they are not alone; she sees things in a simple yet unique way, and I love the way she pieces things together on her journeys across/throughout Fairyland. If she feels she is to blame, she will put it right, or try her very hardest to.


Stay tuned for some more bookish suggestions for the good times, and the bad.
So far I've covered-

6 comments:

  1. I own The Golden Compass and STILL haven't read it. >-< I got it at an awesome, like $1 sale and I was so happy. I honestly just need to stop going to the library and actually read the books I own. Hehe. I also love Snicket. I love everything and anything he writes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The third book in the series is my favourite, but I just love all three so much. They're one of the most important series' in my reading experience, I'd say, without a doubt. I really hope you read them soon, Cait! xx

      Delete
  2. I read His Dark Materials was actually an antithesis to C.S. Lewis's Narnia series! I actually tried reading it but I'm kinda put off by certain elements so I put it aside for now. And Lemony Snicket! Isn't that the series that Cait is crazy for? I think I remember her putting a picture of it on her blog, a towering collection of books XDD

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh, I hadn't heard that, but it sounds super interesting!
      I know there's a dramatisation of it, if you planned on trying it again, which might be a fun way of trying it. I'm yet to listen to it, but hope to soon. I can understand if it wasn't totally suited to you, though.

      I think she does like it a lot! There are so many books in that series- technically 14!

      Delete
  3. Yup, that's Lyra in a nutshell! And that's why I love her so :D I'll admit I'm not familiar with the other characters you've mentioned here, but I know exactly what you mean when it comes to these kinds of characters! They're the best and I admire and respect them the most. Someone else who fits perfectly into this category of characters is Karou from the Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't actually got to that series- I tried the first book once a few years back but it wasn't really my thing at the time, though I do know it seems to be very popular. I was just never drawn to it. Still, this in a character is a really wonderful trait, makes them so powerful, so that's a plus anywhere. You're certainly very right there!

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x