Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Mini Review (11)

Paper Towns- John Green.
Paper Towns was, I believe, the one John Green book I really wanted to read, after I read TFiOS (so this puts me back to when that first came out) and yet, though I got the box set of his work last March, I only now have read this book I felt so sure would be a definite favourite. And, guess what? It wasn't a favourite. I'm not sure I even thought it was all that good. Full of incredibly beautiful, marvellous quotes, yes, but the story had very little else that appealed to me; Quentin was, I felt, a flimsy protagonist and his infatuation for Margo, the girl next door, was really a little odd. He was just completely in love with her, and there was really very little about her, that I could see, to make him see her as this goddess, brilliant, otherworldly type human. She, too, was just as flimsy and controlled by expectations as he, and so the love and admiration felt pretty odd... flat.
I'm glad to have (finally) read it, but didn't find the Favourite Green novel that I was certain I would. I found a bunch of great quotes, though!



Daughter of Smoke and Bone- Laini Taylor.
I can safely classify Daughter of Smoke and Bone alongside The Book Thief, and this is why: it is a book I got out from the library, read very little of and decided hastily was not for me. Somehow I decided to try it again, though my initial reaction hadn't been positive when I had given it a brief go, but the beautiful reviews I read and the love from reviewers for this series turned me back, and I ended up with my own copy. And WHAT A BOOK.
Goodness. It is a blindingly brilliant, gorgeously written book and an epic tale told so, so well. I was fascinated with all of it, completely smitten from start to finish- the end struck me a little glum, but I hope things progress in a more positive way in books 2 and 3. Which I will be reading. Soon.

11 comments:

  1. I need to try Daughter of Smoke and Bone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally loved Paper Towns, but it wasn't like an immediate love. Like it took me a few days after finishing it to really appreciate it. It was strange. Anyways, too bad that it wasn't for you. I might recommend Will Grayson, Will Grayson next? Though that one isn't included in the box set.

    And DoS&B!!!! YES so glad you decided to give it a second chance!! I love it so much and Laini's imagination is fantastic! It's definitely a grim story, but there's hope. And Zuzanna and Mik turn up later on in the books to lighten things up a bit :) I would also highly recommend the novella, Night of Cake & Puppets, which tells the story of how Zuze and Mik get together and it is SO wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it really interesting when that happens, though unfortunately it wasn't the case with PT for me. I actually tried WG,WG a few years ago and really disliked it. I recently read the musical novel about Tiny Cooper, and that was alright, quite good, really, but I wouldn't want more from those characters, I don't think. I wonder what I'll think about Katherines...?

      I definitely agree! I'm certainly planning on reading the novellas- the title of that one is just wonderful, so I'll absolutely go for tit! xx

      Delete
  3. I love love DoSaB and am reading the third one right now. Though it's long so it's kind of daunting to get started. Instead I am here blogging instead of getting started. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it's brilliant! Can't wait to get the second and find out what's going to happen! xx

      Delete
    2. Though I should add that I am, I think rightly, terrified, too. ( :

      Delete
  4. I was, unfortunately, a little let down by DAUGHTER OF SMOKE AND BONE. And I think that had a lot to do with the hype :/ Everyone had said that it was the most beautifully lyrical book and that the Akiva/Karou ship would hit me in the feels. But I didn't feel EITHER of those things, which upset me a bit. I was looking for a new book/series that I could call a favourite, but I didn't find that in DOSAB.

    Although, I have heard that things pick up in the second book, so I am definitely willing to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's really sad to hear! I find it really frustrating when the hype of a book gets you so excited to read it and then you find it just isn't all you thought it would be. It seems to make it MORE of a disappointment than it would've been had you gone in without expectations.

      I hope the rest of the series perks up for you! xx

      Delete
  5. That happens to me too! I often borrow books from the library to see if a story and I are clicking or not. I can also go back and pick up a book I initially put down after re-adjusting my expectations. I loved the Daughter of Smoke and Bone series but I completely understand how hype can set up unrealistic expectations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really good way of doing things, I think. Libraries are so useful- they're brilliant for what they are, but it's also great to see whether you like the sound of a book before buying it or commiting to it!
      xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x