Wednesday, April 1, 2015

As White As Snow by Salla Simukka...


Title- As White as Snow (Lumikki Andersson #2)
Author- Salla Simukka.
Publish date- March 2015.
Publisher- Hot Key Books.
RRP- $16.95 (AUD)

*May contain spoilers for book one in the series!*
Read my review for book 1! I also did a post showcasing things I thought the protagonist, Lumikki, would use and wear! Fun!

(Goodreads)

Review time...

(A Brief) Synopsis:
After the horrifying events of the past months, Lumikki has gone to Prague for some time off, time to just be alone and be herself, without anyone worrying about what happens. But then a young woman comes up to her and says they’re sisters, and Lumikki has to realise that “quiet” isn’t quite what she’s going to get.

Thank you to Hot Key Books for this review copy!
Image Source: Five Mile Press.


What I thought:
I fell in love with Lumikki Andersson and her story of danger, excitement and darkness in the first book of this series, As Red As Blood, and I was beyond excited to read the second book, follow crimes and revelations and this incredible, real character in the second book, but I have to say I was slightly let down. Lumikki is a bit different- still incredible, still with thoughts and feelings and pain that is incredibly real- but I didn’t feel her as much, didn’t relate or understand. I liked her. Not intently. Not a huge amount. Did I just recognise a difference in myself, or was she different- or did knowing more of her background, her secrets, change what I felt for her?

Maybe a mixture of all those. I rather think it’s mostly just because I didn’t find the plot in this particular installment to be particularly grasping. It was quite good. All round this was “quite good”. I expected more, but I’m not overly disappointed, either. I’ll just hope the last book is so much better than this rather middling one.

I’m actually finding it quite difficult to write a review for this. It did have really interesting thoughtful moments from Lumikki, we get a big, big insight into the relationship she was in, we see her open- find out how very fragile and hopeful she is. We get a chase through the streets of Prague and we get to see Lumikki in action, though for less (I’d call it two notable but not overly huge scenes) than the first book, and we get SECRETS and REVELATIONS to mull over! How grand!

Rating:
Unfortunately this was quite a middling disappointment, especially when you compare it to how I adored the first book; there was quite a lack of the prior Lumikki Andersson I had known, though physically and mentally she was the same. It’s bizarre. I can’t explain it (well). But that’s what it was.

8 comments:

  1. I have this one waiting on my TBR for me. Now that I know you enjoyed the first one, I'm even more excited to read it :)

    Great Review!

    Michelle @ Book Briefs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I'm hoping that you'll enjoy it- if you haven't read the first book, I'm really excited for you! It's such a fantastic, interesting series, and Lumikki... ahh. She's wonderful. Happy reading, Michelle! xx

      Delete
  2. Aw, it's too bad this didn't live up to the first book! I'm always afraid that will happen with sequels to books I loved, but fortunately I haven't had that happen to me too much. If this is a trilogy (?) I hope the next book will be better! Do you think the first book could be read on it's own - no cliffhanger endings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's happened pretty badly to me twice, in memory, where the series just lost all traction and I ended up kind of loathing it, but thankfully I don't think that'd ever happen here- I love the ideas and thoughts and story (and Lumikki, of course) far too much.
      I think this is a trilogy... yes, just looked it up and it is. I absolutely think this would be brilliant as a read the first book and then finish. I don't remember it being cliffy, not memorably, at least, and I would so recommend you giving the first book a go! I'd really like to hear your thoughts on it. xxx

      Delete
  3. I still have the first book I won off you sitting on my TBR pile. It makes me sad that I haven't gotten around to it yet, because I know how much you loved the first book Romi. Gah, I need more reading time!! Sorry to hear that the second book was not as great, but that happens sometimes. I usually find the second installment a bit stale and sometimes even as a filler (when they're trilogies), but I've been having a lot of luck with second books lately! I hope your next read is much better lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, TBR's can be wonderful, but frustrating when they stop you from getting to your other reads! It'd be so nice just to have a few months of extended reading time. Aah.... Here's hoping you get to it soon and love it! xx

      Delete
  4. ME TOO. EXACTLY. I still have to post my review on this one but I feel bad because I've got like nothing to say. >_< It was okay, but it felt completely different to the wild excitement of the first book. I liked getting to know Lumikki's backstory buuuut I kind of wish we'd seen it, instead of that lal just being like backflash-tellings. *Sigh* I definitely want book 3 though.!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh-huh, that's basically it in a nutshell. I mean, it was still quite good, but... not like I'd anticipated. The first book set a very high level and this was only average, unfortunately. Yes! Here's hoping book 3 makes up for this!

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading my post and, if you care to, commenting! It means a lot to me that you have thoughts on this thing (whatever it may be), too, and want to share them.

Please note, however, that nothing hurtful will be tolerated.

Have a beautiful day.x